Q: Battery goes dead overnight

I had the fuel pump replaced, and ever since then, my battery is drained more often than not... I took it back to who put in the fuel pump, and he did not know what was draining the battery, mentioned something about a security device??? ALSO... it idles really high while in park... I have had a few places look into that as well, and nobody seems to know what the problem is... I just replaced the transmission as well, which was quite costly, and I would rather not get rid of the car! It belonged to my Mother who passed away! It has sentimental value to me!!

A: Some battery draw when the car is not runni...

Some battery draw when the car is not running is normal for most cars since things like the security system, clocks, some stereos and other small accessories will drain a small amount of power. It sounds like you may have other things as well doing this. I would start with checking things like interior lights, truck light, under the hood light and other small powered switches to check for proper connections and to be sure they shut off properly. The high idle may be caused by a number of things, but is most commonly associated with a vacuum leak. This is caused by excessive air intake being mixed with fuel which causes an imbalance in the air/fuel mixture which is what makes the engine surge or idle high. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and repair.