Q: My 2009 Kia Rio needs new ignition/coils. There is a huge difference in internet pricing vs. buying locally. Any ideas why?

Thanks for taking my question. The ignition/coils (4) on my 2009 Kia Rio need to be replaced. I've compared online pricing to that locally and there is a huge discrepancy. One of the more popular buy/sell sites has a number of listings featuring all four coils for less than just one at my nearby auto parts store. I'm interested in saving dollars but don't want to purchase subpar or defective parts that are only going to need replacing right away, or worst case scenario, not work at all. Most of these online sites offer some type of warranty (60 days to lifetime) typically. It's important to me that I be an educated consumer prior to making my purchase and was hoping your experience and expertise might help to shed some light on the possible reasons for this pricing disparity.

I cannot claim to know the quality of every coil on the online or local market. I can tell you that some of the online coils are subpar and will not last long and even have been known to short the coil circuits out. The ones sold local to you may be better than some on line versions but also include price markup that can be saved by purchasing online.

• My 2009 Kia Rio needs new ignition/coils. There is a huge difference in internet pricing vs. buying locally. Any ideas why?