Q: Had to manually unlock car & key stuck in ignition

When I tried to open the driver’s side door, the key would not open it so I used the manual entry. Then, when I inserted the key into the ignition, the car light did not come on and the engine would not start. Now, the key is locked in the ignition and cannot be removed. The car won't start and also it now won't even lock. I had not driven it for 48 hours prior to this. I'm thinking that the antilock system might have triggered this problem. Do you agree or if not, what is the cause and a solution? Thanks.

A: A few different things can cause the vehicl...

A few different things can cause the vehicle to respond this way. The reason why the key is stuck in the ignition is probably due to the steering wheel being locked. When the steering wheel is locked it does not allow the key to be turned but it should be able to be removed.

There are a few different reasons why the key may have not worked in the lock. The most common are the key transponder unit has failed, the key is worn or the vehicle’s security system is malfunctioning.

A qualified Technician such as one from YourMechanic will be able to diagnose the issue with your ignition system and perform any repairs that are required.