Q: I done replace my alternator and charged my battery but the car keeps going dead what else could the problem be?

asked by on September 13, 2016

Turn it on light little dim then it acts if it wants to crank sometimes it cranks sometimes it won't....

Battery will not hold a charge Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If the battery keeps going dead, then there is likely something draining the battery. It may be possible that a wire somewhere on the vehicle has shorted to the chassis and is placing a parasitic drain on the battery. With the key off, I would carefully search the entire vehicle for any electrical accessories or lights that remain powered or functional. When the key is removed, all of the components should turn off. However, if the hot wire to any of the electrical components shorts to chassis ground, this may create a circuit that drains the battery. I would start by checking the engine bay, and then move on to checking the interior of the vehicle. If you would like to have this checked for you, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the battery charge problem.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr