Q: Intermittent enginge vibration

asked by on October 15, 2016

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring model. Its working OK but I notice that every so often, when I am traveling at a steady speed, the engine feels like it is 'lugging down'. At highway speeds even on cruise control when this happens there is a vibration (noticeable by everything in the rearview mirror shaking) and you can hear the engine sound change. Note - this happens at lower speeds, too. Its just not as noticeable. I bought the car used with 108K miles; it now has 129K miles. I have changed oil a few times, but no other maintenance to speak of. In the back of my head I am hearing 'change the plugs and the air filter', and recently that voice asked 'what about the PVC valve?' This problem also occurs for a short while when I pull my foot off of the gas for a short while. That same voice is telling me it could be a 'breathing ' issue. What are your thoughts?

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

You are right on track. Chances are, now that the engine is lacking proper air, fuel, or spark. Issues like this can also be sensor related. The best way to start the testing is to get the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. The spark plugs are easy to check and need to be replaced on a time interval dependent on the brand and quality of the plug. The air filter needs to be inspected for damaged, or cleanliness. If it dirty and is not reusable, purchase a new one and install it. Fuel filters are often looked over. They filter every gallon of fuel passed through the engine. These also need to be replaced on a certain time interval. A clogged filter, or failing pump will also cause these symptoms. If you need help with these repairs, YourMechanic offers a repair and diagnosis service preformed by a certified mechanic that will commute to your location to look into your intermittent vibration issue.