Q: Car not starting/slow acceleration

asked by on December 22, 2016

My car won't start. It seems to be trying to crank but won't. The check engine light is on and I think I need a transmission fluid flush since the fluid is dark colored. When it was running it would sputter at times, especially in reverse. And it would take a long time to accelerate.

By the description of your transmission fluid, your vehicle is probably in need of a transmission service. However, this is not the reason your vehicle will not start. Your engine requires spark, fuel, and air, to start and run. Air is always present as a given. That leaves spark and fuel. Lack of spark or fuel can be caused by a number of components or reasons. A failed crankshaft sensor for example, can cause the engine control unit to signal neither the ignition system or the fuel pump if it has gone bad. A failed fuel pump or ignition module can also cause this. These are just a few possible causes for a no start situation.

Since so many components are involved, it may be best to have a certified technician look into the no start condition to isolate the exact cause.