Q: transmission

When starting from 0 to 20mph, vehicle will not up shift to first. It would wind up in rpms and stay if i let it. But if I start off slow and easy and listen I can let off gas and it will go a head and smoothly make its automatic first up shift. From that point I can drive as normal. It is making a noise but not the normal wining sound one thinks of with transmission. Almost like a clicker a kid uses on his bicycle tire I have checked oil level and smell both appear normal. The feel is a little weak so it may need to be changed? Could this be a sensor or band? Also as i back up, at times, I hear a sound from the back as in my rear differential? I have checked drive shafts and u joint all are good. Any advice would be appreciated thank you

Hi, thanks for writing in. The transmission in these vehicles have a problem where the bore to the servo that controls gear changes gets worn and binds the valve shaft. The transmission will need to be overhauled, the bore for the shaft drilled out, and a bushing installed to correct the problem. This would be best done by a transmission specialist. Hope this helps and best of luck.

3. transmission