Q: Bad waterpump?

If the water pump is bad. Would it not flow through the engine causing it to overflow and or have with smoke out of the tail pipe. There is no water in the oil.

A: Hello. If the water pump is bad and the imp...

Hello. If the water pump is bad and the impeller is not functioning, then yes, it would not allow the coolant to flow through the engine.

If the coolant does not flow, then it will cause the engine to overheat and cause the coolant to boil from the engine. Since you have smoke from the tailpipe, you more than likely have a bad head gasket. This fails when the engine gets too hot.

I typically do a block test first to see if the gaskets have failed. If they have, then the engine will need to be disassembled to see what failed and from that point the engine can be repaired.

If you are going to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the cause of the smoke coming from your car's tailpipe.