Q: When I drive it and come to a stop with my foot on the brake my car revs up and sometimes shuts off and I have to start up again 2006 Chevrolet Impala

asked by on March 13, 2017

Okay so when I drive my car and then come to a stop ( red light mostly) I have my foot on the brake but my car begins to rev up. Like the RPM with shoot up and my car will shake a little bit while revving. Sometimes my car would rev up then shut right off while I'm in drive. I would have to put it in park and turn the key to off so I can start it back up. What's the problem. Another problem I have is when I first start the car up. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to catch fire and turn on. It would make the sound to where the car is igniting but it doesn't come fast enough. Does that mean I need new spark plugs ?

Hi - first task is to read any problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. Any codes extracted are useful for diagnostic purposes. Based on your symptoms, the throttle position sensor is a leading failure possibility. A malfunctioning idle air controller could also cause the unpredictable idling issues, but not a shut-off while driving. I recommend a car stalling inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.