Q: When I drive it and come to a stop with my foot on the brake my car revs up and sometimes shuts off and I have to start up again 2006 Chevrolet Impala

Okay so when I drive my car and then come to a stop ( red light mostly) I have my foot on the brake but my car begins to rev up. Like the RPM with shoot up and my car will shake a little bit while revving. Sometimes my car would rev up then shut right off while I'm in drive. I would have to put it in park and turn the key to off so I can start it back up. What's the problem. Another problem I have is when I first start the car up. Sometimes it takes a minute or two to catch fire and turn on. It would make the sound to where the car is igniting but it doesn't come fast enough. Does that mean I need new spark plugs ?

Hi - first task is to read any problem codes, whether the Check Engine light is on or not. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. Any codes extracted are useful for diagnostic purposes. Based on your symptoms, the throttle position sensor is a leading failure possibility. A malfunctioning idle air controller could also cause the unpredictable idling issues, but not a shut-off while driving. I recommend a car stalling inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. When I drive it and come to a stop with my foot on the brake my car revs up and sometimes shuts off and I have to start up again 2006 Chevrolet Impala