Q: Backfiring and engine hesitation problems 1999 Dodge RAM 2500

I have a 99 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9l and I'm having engine hesitation and problems trying to get up to speed. When I give it more acceleration you can feel it kick out what it feels like barely any power and then it feels like it has full power again. The alternator, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, idle air control, throttle positioning sensor, map sensor, air filter are all new.

Hello - backfiring and loss of power are usually symptoms of a lean mixture, often caused by unmetered air leaks in the intake system. This could be caused by a leaking air hose, or stuck EGR valve. Check for problem codes first, whether the Check Engine light is on or not - if present, these could speed diagnosis significantly. I would recommend a engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.