Q: ATF oil leaks lights

I bought a neglected ML430 and hope to get it running in good condition. It has oil leaks and probably Automatic Transmission Fluid leaks. Many warning lights are on the dashboard. The car won't shift out of first gear. It has plastic on the windows to keep the water out, a cracked front bumper, scraped back bumper, missing engine cover and the radio navigation needs a security code. All 4 rotors are severely worn down and are lips like BBS wheels. The bottoms of the doors have rust bubbles. I ordered a window switch and looking for an automatic shifter that works. I am really worried about the transmission and I am getting a kit to change the Automatic Transmission Fluid and filter. I want to save this car, but would like your input. What ideas and thoughts do you have on this car?

A: The vehicle will need to have a <a href='ht...

The vehicle will need to have a complete inspection done to determine the mechanical and electrical condition. A complete fault survey should be done to see if there are any electro-mechanical issues both with the engine and/or transmission. Fluid levels and condition should be checked for all auxiliary systems to determine the overall vehicle health. Fluid residues, odor, or degradations can all be signs of potential issues. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the expertise to assess the vehicle and determine which repairs are needed to revive the vehicle.