Q: At what mm MUST I replace rear brakes?

Supposedly my rear brake lining thickness is 3 mm. At what point do I need new brakes? Thank you

Hello, thanks for your question. I would consider 3 mm to be the thickness that I would recommend for replacing the brakes. Some vehicles start out thinner than other vehicles, but under 3 mm is what most mechanics would consider too thin to know how much longer before metal to metal on the rotors. Also, brakes below 3 mm cannot dissipate heat as well and may cause the pads glue to release the pad from the backing. Hope this helps and best of luck! If you would like to have one of our local mechanics to come to your home or office to perform the replacement for you, feel free to book us for that.

3. At what mm MUST I replace rear brakes?