Q: Air conditioner blows hot air. 1995 Mercedes-Benz E300

The air conditioner in my car is only blowing hot air. I have had to take it to the shop many times for this same A/C problem and no one seems to know how to fix it. It is usually in the hot temperatures when the air conditioner stops blowing cold air; however, when it is cooler temperatures outside it will blow cold air. Could you please tell me what is causing this so I can get it fixed? Thanks.

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in about your ...

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1995 Mercedes-Benz E550. This could be a variety of issues, such as no pressure or low refrigerant levels, a bad compressor clutch, or a compressor not engaging correctly. Check to see if the cooling fans are on when the AC is running. Most systems are designed to have them run when the AC is on. Also, check to be sure the compressor is engaged. Look to see if the pulley is spinning when the car is running with the AC on. If you need help with this, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the AC system and pinpoint the necessary repair.