Q: After six months parked, engine turns if add starter fluid

My car has been parked for six months and naturally is having trouble now. My friend and I think the fuel pump is the problem or perhaps the relay. We have checked the battery and fuses. The engine will turn if we add some starter fluid. However, no fuel is getting to the engine. The pumps are getting power, but they are not pumping fuel. I do not want to give up on this car. What do you think we need to do next to find the solution for my car?

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that you do indeed have some sort of fuel problem. The first thing I would check, however, is the condition of the fuel. If the vehicle has been sitting for six months, it may be possible that the fuel has gone stale and is no longer suitable for engine combustion. If the fuel in the vehicle is over a month old and was not treated with stabilizer before the car sat, I would recommend first replacing it with fresh fuel, and then attempting to start the vehicle once more. I would then move on to checking the fuel system, as a faulty fuel pump can also produce the symptoms you are experiencing, even if the pump is receiving power. A proper diagnosis of your car starting problems by a certified technician from YourMechanic and a fuel pressure test, as well as a thorough examination of the fuel system components, is recommended to determine what the exact cause of the issue may be.