Q: After a timing belt replacement malfunction an indicator light has come on.

Garage replaced timing belt I now have warning light on dash. MIL light which garage have diagnosed as a problem with the emissions exhaust system and noise from power steering pump and noise while driving. All of which they say is just a coincidence any help would be appreciated

Hi there. I completely understand your concern. Could it simply be coincidence? Absolutely. Could it have been caused by an incorrect timing belt installation? It sure could. A Check Engine Light means that a malfunction has been detected and set a code. Without the code, it is difficult to say what system or operation has the fault.

The noises need to have a proper inspection to determine if it may have been caused by the repair/service or if it simply is coincidence. A squeal or chirp noise from the power steering could indicate a loose/worn belt. And without a description of the noise while driving, I cannot assuredly say what the possible causes could be.

These concerns definitely need the attention of a qualified technician. I strongly suggest acquiring a qualified technician to perform inspections on these concerns to determine the failure causes and avoid replacing unnecessary parts. YourMechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a Check Engine Light inspection and help you address the issue with the noise. Best of luck!

• After a timing belt replacement malfunction an indicator light has come on.