Rebuilding double cardan joint 1998 universal joints chev...

Q: Rebuilding double cardan joint

asked by on July 06, 2017

Hello, I recently bought a cheap little 98 chevy s10 and it shakes like hell. This is my first car so I don't have a lot of experience, but I'm pretty determined to get this rust bucket running right without spending the same amount I paid for the thing to get it fixed at a shop. I know that the ujoints need replaced, but the drive shaft has two double cardan joints that make the project much more difficult. I have taken the driveshaft out and taken out all of the old ujoints so it is all disassembled, but I am not completely sure if or how I should replace the two cv ball and seats that are in the double cardan joints. I found a rebuild kit for the cv ball seats at oreillys for like $30, but I heard that they don't last long. What do you think is my best option?

Rebuilding Cardon joints is a challenge to even the most experienced mechanic. If you like puzzles and have a high threshold of frustration, have at it. But there are many companies these days that specialize in rebuilding driveshafts and axles and sometimes their prices are surprisingly low. I’d take a good look at that before I tearing into the old shaft. If you decide you’d rather delegate this job, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to repair your universal joints for you right there on the spot.