Q: Advice on the amount of oil to use

My car calls for 4.7 quarts of oil. Can I put in 5 quarts?

A: Sure, you could always add more if you'...

Sure, you could always add more if you'd like, but I wouldn't advise doing it. You don't want to put too much oil in the engine because the engine is designed for a certain amount of oil. If you over-fill it, it builds pressure that can blow the seals out and it also takes up space that didn't have oil in it and it can also cause damage to the engine.

Now, 0.3 of a quart isn't going to damage engine in that way but it can cause seal leakage and stuff. Just put in the correct amount. You don't ever want to over-fill something. You only do that if you've got a junk car that burns a lot of oil, because then you'd say--heck, it's going to burn it soon anyway so I'll just put in 5 quarts.