Q: Acceleration malfunction

asked by on September 29, 2016

1--- At times, when I press the gas pedal, the car revs up ever so slowly, the RPM increases very slowly and the car moves like a snail.

2--- At other times, the car revs up too much, the RPM is around 4000-5000 even while running at 80 kmph. (The car usually is stable at 2000-2500 rpm even at high speeds.)

3--- Another thing that occurs, is a sort of 'jump', that occurs when I halt the car and then move again. This 'jump' is most certainly followed by the Problem 1. And when I go further along the highway, Problem 2 occurs. So the sequence is 3, then 1, then 2.

Note: The car has a missing oxygen sensor, just FYI. Will appreciate greatly your help as many mechanics were unable to diagnose the problem. Tried cleaning the throttle body (by a mechanic of course). Didn't help. Thanks

If the car is missing an oxygen sensor, this needs to be addressed first. This can cause the computers to do all sorts of strange things. The PCM uses the O2 sensor to make most decisions for your car to function properly. Your car can’t be diagnosed with such a problem. Personally, I would not address the transmission issue until the O2 is restored to its normal function. Cleaning the throttle body will not have any affect on what sounds like a transmission problem. Either you have a transmission issue, or your car is defaulting to limp mode because of the missing O2 sensor.

If it is a transmission problem, the following are the possible causes. Most likely it is sticking in one gear. This could be do to ATF that has not been replaced frequent enough resulting in debris build up in the transmission that clogs the very small passages. There could be a wiring problem or a solenoid issue as well, but least likely, a problem with the TCM (Transmission Control Module).

The way I interpret this is when the RPM’s increase slowly, the transmission is stuck in a gear other than first. When it revs to much, it is most likely unable to shift into overdrive.

I’m sorry you haven’t found someone who can successfully diagnose your problem. What you need is someone with a lot of experience working on Honda’s. I recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your acceleration issue firsthand and help you make the necessary repairs.

Good luck!