Q: 97 escort wont accelarate

97 escort is very slow to accelarate and will not go over 45mph..did tune up oil change fuel filter the check engine light is NOT on and was told it is not throwing codes even had a back pressure test done on the cat and was told that was fine too several mechanics have looked at it and can not tell me what's wrong the rpms will go up but the car just revs when trying to go over 40 had tranny check was told tht it is not the problem

There are a number of things that may cause the car to hesitate when accelerating such as low fuel pressure, a dirty or faulty mass air flow sensor, clogged or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a bad fuel pump. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. 97 escort wont accelarate