Q: How would i know that i need to replace the vanos?

asked by on March 06, 2017

I was told that i need to replace the vanos (variable timing solenoid). Engine is making a clicking sound. I changed the oil and it stopped for awhile, now the sound is back. I had also replaced 4 of 6 coil packs, and all of the plugs. How would i know for sure its the vanos and not another problem?

Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoid Replacement $123.52 - $539.96 Get a Quote

The VANOS is a variable camshaft timing system that uses engine oil pressure to change the camshaft position. The VANOS solenoid is an electrically operated valve that diverts oil pressure to the correct devices under certain conditions. Usually the first thing you notice when the VANOS fails is a check engine light. The car might perform differently, or it may seem just the same depending on what kind of driving you are doing. Scanning the system will present a number of codes related to the camshaft timing and some codes for the valve itself. The best way to diagnose a bad valve is by using a BMW specific scan tool to activate the valve and observe the engine response. You can have that done at your convenience by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your VANOS system and let you know what it is going to take to fix it.