Q: 2014 VW Jetta keeps saying No Key even when driving, happens often and dealership can't figure out.

asked by on November 22, 2017

My issue is very intermittent, but has been happening for a long time now and every time I take it to the dealership, they cannot find the problem. Sometimes when I try to start the car, it beeps and flashes No Key on the dash and won't start. I clearly have the key. It will eventually start when I put the key up against the key spot behind the steering wheel. Most of the time my car beeps and flashes No Key while driving and again....I clearly have the key. My car battery has been replaced and the battery in both key fobs have also been replaced and I am still having the issue. Not sure what is going on, but there is definitely an issue. What can it be?

Hi Christina. Thanks for sending in your question today. Intermittent issues like you’re describing are incredibly difficult to diagnose. In most cases, it’s a minor programming glitch with either the key itself or the ECU/Security system. If the dealership is having difficulty resolving this problem, I’m not sure a private mechanic is going to have any further luck. I would keep an eye on this, and try to observe if any circumstances where this happens more consistently, such as if your phone is active (which I’ve seen be an issue with electronic connectivity in some vehicles) or other commonalities that occur when these issues pop up. The only repair advice I would suggest is having the dealership replace the key to see if this solves the issue.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr