Q: 2010 Nissan Sentra isn't shifting right and cvt fluid seems ok

I purchased the car approx 3-4 months ago. It stalled on me while accelerating about a month ago and it turned out that I needed a new computer. My mechanic got the computer and installed it. I was used to driving a Cadillac so I didn't realize it wasn't driving the way it should have been before the computer went out. When I got it back, it drove AMAZING! He checked everything else and thought I was good to go. The last couple days it hasn't been shifting gears properly and is noisy and running poorly. Almost as if I'm in 2nd gear going 70mph today on the interstate. It has all the necessary fluids. What else can do myself before bringing it in? I'm aware of the recall on my car (it's cvt transmission) and I need to know if it's something I can prevent from getting worse or is there nothing I can do? Thanks in advance for your help!

Nissan has issued at least two Technical Service Bulletins (TSB’s) which describe operating conditions (faults) much like what you are describing. One of the Bulletins documents a fix for reduced performance as the CVT fluid temperature protection logic comes into play. The diagnostic and repair procedure is pretty detailed (too lengthy to recount here) but if you visit the on-line NHTSA database and input "2010 Sentra" in the "Vehicles" sub-head and then select "Manufacturer Communications" you will see the relevant TSB’s. Whatever the cause turns out to be in your circumstance, if you request an engine loss of power diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved; the mechanic will likely consider the applicability of those TSB’s first as those represent "known and common issues" but if those are not the issue, the mechanic will find the issue. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. 2010 Nissan Sentra isn't shifting right and cvt fluid seems ok