Q: 2008 VW Passat Komfort that is misfiring could it be engine coil? How much might it cost to fix?

I'm thinking of buying a 2008 VW Passat Komfort that is misfiring and the check engine light is on. I did a little research online and found that it could need an engine coil replaced. I don't have a lot of details yet as I just found the car on carfax. I am in desperate need of a car (without a car note) and this one is selling for $1,950. It has 144k miles on it, no major accidents, looks awesome and has had 3 previous owners. Based on the problem above, do you think I should consider buying this car or walk away? Thanks.

It’s true that the car you’re looking at may just need an ignition coil. It’s also true that it might need an ignition module, a fuel injector, an intake manifold, or it may even have valve damage. Many times I’ve had people come into my shop with similar stories of cars that they bought that were supposed to need "one little thing" only to discover that they have purchased a car that needs MAJOR repairs. If you are serious about the car, you should invest some money into having it checked out before you buy it. You could contact Your Mechanic about investigating the misfire or you can ask them to do a Pre Purchase inspection It could save you a lot of money and headaches.

3. 2008 VW Passat Komfort that is misfiring could it be engine coil? How much might it cost to fix?