Q: 2006 Volkswagen Touareg V* 4.2 L - Experiencing a hard shift from 4th to 5th

asked by on May 11, 2017

2006 Volkswagen Touareg V* 4.2 L - Experiencing a hard shift from 4th to 5th

Have the on-board diagnostic system scanned for faults to make sure there are no electronic issues causing the hard shift prior to taking any other steps. Although these transmissions are claimed to have a "lifetime fluid", it is still a good idea to service them from time to time. Besides getting dirty with age, the fluid level will naturally drop over time from the constant heating and cooling. Fluid that is in poor condition or low can cause hard shifting and sometimes, no shifting at all. Synthetic fluid is specified for this transmission and it does have a special fill procedure. Basically, the fluid is filled from the bottom and once the transmission fluid has reached a certain temperature, the fill procedure is stopped to allow the fluid to cool. Then the fluid level is topped to the correct level. Have a transmission service performed if it has been some time since a service was performed and the system diagnostic shows no faults.