Q: Transmission pops into neutral

asked by on September 08, 2016

I have a 99 ram 1500 sport with a 46re transmission every time I hit a bump it go's into neutral then I have to bring the column shifter up past Drive then back into Drive what would the most likely possibility be? I think it could be the linkage is bad

Hey there. You may have a bad shifter cable end at the transmission control lever. Look at the shift linkage arm and inspect the shift cable end to see if bushing is worn out. Also check the other end of the cable under the dash where the cable connects to the steering column shift lever. If you need help having this diagnosed, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the transmission and verify what repairs should be done.