Q: CEL limp mode reflash

I purchased a F-350 platinum back in September of 2014. I put about 9000 miles on it, and the check engine light came on. Then it went into limp mode. I got the code p207f and had it read at autozone 300 miles from where I live. Then the dealership called and said they could not find any codes. I had to clear them to get home. Then at about 14500 miles my truck started running terrible and went into limp mode. I was 7 miles from dealer and decided to take it in. They did a reflash which removed false engine codes on the power control module, and I picked up the truck. I went on a long drive of 3900 miles round trip. The fuel mileage was only 11.3 and went through 4 - 2.5 gallon cans diesel exhaust fluid. I was a driving around town for a week with the fuel mileage down to 10.3. Monday the Check Engine Light came on again. I took it to back to the dealer and they had to replace the Nitrogen Oxide sensor. My truck has less than 24900 miles on it, and it’s been in the shop 3 times already. I've seen the Technical Service Bulletin that Ford put out along with all these stories on the Internet about these 2015 regen – diesel particulate filter issues. Is my truck bad? I do allot of traveling and need reliable transportation. I have about 12,000 miles left on my warranty. Do you have any thoughts or ideas on this truck?

Hello there. The type of issues you have described are not uncommon with the newer F series diesel trucks. The technical service bulletins are put out as a way to get vehicles repaired properly once a common failure point is detected.

These bulletins may be updated over time as the engineers at Ford figure out more of the potential causes. I cannot advise you on what to do in this situation other than say that the diesel particulate filter systems are a newer technology and many other diesel trucks are having similar issues. The first thing I would do is take it back to the dealer for one more look and this time mention the TSB. If you would rather have an independent mechanic inspect the Check Engine Light, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the issue.