Q: 2006 Ford Taurus doesn't start at all

asked by on May 02, 2016

I have an O6 Taurus and when I turn the key on, nothing happens. I thought to narrow it down to the starter, since it was soaked in oil, so I replaced it. But it did the same thing. Also, I changed the starter relay as well.

Ignition Switch Replacement $160.91 - $807.33 Get a Quote
Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

On Fords, if nothing happens when you turn the key, that’s generally caused by two main things. Either the ignition switch has gone bad or your anti-theft system has gone bad. The ignition switch itself is just an electronic part that you can easily change yourself. You can get a new switch at a discount at an auto parts place. It’s not that hard to do, but you can have a technician replace the ignition switch for you if this is needed.

But, if it is the anti-theft system, you are going to need a mechanic. They’ll come and hook up their scan tool and see if it has a trouble code for the anti-theft system, because, if it is the anti-theft system, that’s going to trip codes. It will have a code for the anti-theft system to show the mechanic what area to check out and what area to fix. It often is the anti-theft on the systems like that, so you will want to have that checked out by a professional. If you would like to have this done, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s starting issue and make any repairs that are needed.