Q: 2005 dodge ram, clicking noise from selenoid when battery is connected, truck won't start and it's constant and drains the battery

asked by on December 02, 2017

came out one morning and truck wouldn't start. Lights worked but when i tried to turn it over i only heard a clicking noise. i tried jumping it but it still wouldn't turn over, only clicking. i pulled the starter selenoid from underneath the motor off and cleaned the connections and put it back on and still the same clicking. i put my battery on a charger and put it back in the truck and as soon as I connected the positive terminal I could hear the selenoid clicking repeatedly even though the key wasn't in the ignition. if it's the cable to the selenoid how do I check that or is it the selenoid?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There should only be power to the solenoid if the key is in the start position. If 12 volts are measured at the solenoid with no key in the ignition, there is a short circuit. If the solenoid is powered, but the starter motor does not operate, the starter is probably defective and often that is due to a bad spot on the armature. You can try testing the starter off of the vehicle but such "bench" tests are not reliable as the starter is not under load and in addition intermittent faults will not be detected in bench testing. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.