Q: Blown head gasket

asked by on March 09, 2017

My car started to run hot. I pulled over immediately. It appeared that the backside of the lowerhose was flowing fluid onto the oil filter can. I parked walked and got some 50/50 antifreeze filled up overflow and poured some in radiator. I got the car home w/out it running hot again. I have not been driving car just to move it backforth across the street. When i took radiator cap off it had gunk on it. I duct tape the lower hose and got a new radiator cap, hoses and thermostat.( i put the cap on myself ) i notice today moving the car across the street. I let the car idle until it got warm it held but i notice water coming out tailpipe. I looked under the hood it appears that fluid coming out the weephole but I have heat and ac. Im concerned about a head gasket.

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like the signs of a blown head gasket. White smoke or condensation coming from the exhaust generally indicates that you may have an internal engine problem, such as a head gasket leaking coolant into a cylinder. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.