Q: What is the shift lock release??

asked by on December 15, 2015

What is the shift lock release??

If your Accord has an automatic transmission, it has a shift lock release. This is an important feature and it’s designed to let you shift out of park if the gear selector won’t move when you press the brake pedal. That can happen for a couple of reasons (shift lock solenoid failure, or brake light switch failure). To use the shift lock release, follow these steps:

1. Put the parking brake on.

2. Take the key out of the ignition.

3. Use a small flathead screwdriver or a similar tool to pry the cap off the cover of the shift lock. You’ll find it to the upper right of the gear selector, near the outer edge of the assembly.

4. When the cover is removed, insert the key into the slot.

5. Push the key downward, while pulling the button on the front of the gearshift to move it out of park.

6. Remove the key from the slot.

7. Replace the cover.

8. Put the key back in the ignition and put your foot on the brake.

9. Crank the engine.

Tip

If you’re having to use the shift lock to get your car out of park, it means there’s a problem that needs to be repaired (brake light switch or shift lock solenoid).