Q: 2002 Chevy Suburban. Died on freeway. Flashes the battery light. So i changed the alternator and the battery and the car wont turn

Suburban literally died and lost power came to a slow hault. I wanted to avoid spending a bunch of money i dont have. Changed the battery and the alternator. Still wont turn over. Lights turn on. Fan starts to go but wont kick on.

It sounds like you may have a failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.

• 2002 Chevy Suburban. Died on freeway. Flashes the battery light. So i changed the alternator and the battery and the car wont turn