Q: What Are the Common Signs Your Drive Belt Needs Replacing?

What are the common signs your drive belt needs replacing?

Some signs that your drive belt should be replaced as soon as possible are: the drive belt wearing unevenly, several missing teeth in succession, or has been contaminated by oil. A faulty belt will usually emit squeaks or squeals. A damaged drive belt might not fail catastrophically right away, but it’s just a matter of time, so it’s best not to delay having it replaced.

Drive belts need to be replaced when they can no longer do their job properly. A belt that squeals is a sign of a loose or severely worn belt. It can also signal a weak belt tensioner.

A belt that has chunks of ribbing missing is a belt that must be replaced.

A belt that is stiff and has more cracks in it than an old sidewalk must be replaced.

There are freely available tools that are used to check the amount of wear on serpentine belts. It’s basically a small, V-shaped rod that fits in the valleys between the ribs of the belt. If you can feel the tool above the surface of the belt, the belt is worn out and must be replaced.

If you are encountering any of these symptoms for your drive belt, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to take a look at the belt and replace the drive belt as necessary so that your car can keep working in proper order.

3. What Are the Common Signs Your Drive Belt Needs Replacing?