Q: 2001 Honda Civic Car started shaking, steering wheel got hard and andbyou then car turned off. Car will turn on then turn off.

asked by on December 14, 2017

My brother was driving my car when he said that it suddenly started shaking, the steering wheel was hard, when he hit the gas the car wouldn't move, and then it eventually turned off. When I try turning it on, it'll turn on for a couple seconds and then die. I don't think it's the battery because the headlights still turn on, the inside lights turn on, and my car even beeps when my driver door is open. After a couple of attempts of trying to turn it on, smelly smoke started coming out from the exhaust. My dad and I think that he accidentally put disel in the car, but we don't know.

There are a number of things that may cause a rough idle. A rough idle may be caused by things such as low fuel pressure, low voltage to the fuel injectors, dirty fuel injectors, a vacuum leak, a faulty Oxygen sensor, dirty or failing idle air control valve, a faulty camshaft or crankshaft sensor, faulty spark plugs or wires ad many other things. Any of these possibilities may relate to fuel or spark problems that will disrupt the normal combustion process that would otherwise allow the motor to run smoothly. You may notice the motor running a bit rough or shaking if any of these components are not functioning as they should. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.