Q: Car died and clear, greenish substance on top of engine

After getting an oil change at the auto repair shop, I drove home, about 20 miles, but it died just before pulling into my driveway. I’ve tried to start it 2 times and there is a gas smell and I don’t want to drown the engine. I know that oil can smell like gasoline too. There is something all over the top of the engine, clear with a greenish tint and the heavy smell of gasoline. I checked the oil levels and the transmission fluid and they are both fine. Also, the substance that is all over the top of the engine is a different smell and consistency than the oil that was put in. The battery is 4 months old, so I’m assuming it’s not the battery. What do you think is the problem?

The only fluid I know that has a green tint is coolant. You may have leaked out all the coolant or the coolant shorted out the ignition system. Check the coolant level after the engine has cooled down. If it is low, then do not drive it any more until a mechanic has checked to see where the fluid is coming from and fixes the problem for you. If a shop left something off or damaged the vehicle, then you may have the shop repair it for free. You can call the place that did the oil change and see if they will take care of it for you and tow it in or send a mechanic to look at it. Otherwise, call a mobile mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the leak and repair the problem for you.