Q: Gas pedal pressed to floor before car accelerates

asked by on August 15, 2016

After purchasing my car from a county auction, I have spent a good bit of money on the engine and on electrical problems. It also has a new timing belt, ignition coils and spark plugs. Now, the car is stalling and having great difficulty accelerating, even when just driving downtown. When stopping at a stop sign, I have to literally press the gas pedal all the way to the floor to get my car to accelerate and it seems to take forever. My car will only go at the highest, 30 mph. I also have trouble on my driveway because it is on a slope and I have to press down hard on the gas pedal to back out of my driveway every time. In your expertise, what is the solution for this problem?

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, we will be happy to assist you. I would suggest that you have a technician use a capable scan tool to perform a function test on the vehicle. Doing so will test most of the sensors on the vehicle and test the canbus circuits. I believe it will be a good idea to run a Carfax on the vehicle too if you haven’t already being the vehicle is from an auction. Knowing the full history of the vehicle could give great insight to the cause of the problem your experiencing. I’d suggest having the vehicle looked at by a qualified technician, like one from YourMechanic, afterwards. They’ll be able to properly diagnose your acceleration issue firsthand and suggest an accurate fix from there.