Q: fuel pump

While driving, my car just cut off and I was able to get off the road. A mechanic said it is my fuel pump. He said it would cost 300.00 and I asked him to replace my timing belt too. He also said it will cost another 300.00. He is an independent auto repair dealer. He told me it would take one week to repair but he has not repaired the car and said it will take another week. So it will be 4 weeks by the time I get my car back. I paid him the money upfront. Can you please tell me what it should cost him and the proper time allotted for these repairs?

It’s hard to specify without knowing the exact model of your vehicle, but I will say that $300 for a timing belt and $300 for a fuel pump both sound very fair, but you may be trading low price for quick repairs. Often when prices are very low, you get put on the back burner and it gets finished whenever they have time. Might be a day, might be 6 months. The job should only take about a day to complete, so they are likely dragging the repair out until its convenient for them.

Another option, would be to get a quote from YourMechanic for your fuel pump replacement and timing belt replacement. YourMechanic will send the mechanic to your home or office, and they will complete the repairs within a day, while still beating most dealer and independent shop prices.