Q: Smoke coming from the tail pipe when I accelarate. Burning oil.

asked by on November 28, 2016

Whenever I'm stopped at a red light or stop sign and I accelerate to start a lot of smoke comes off my tailpipe. This also sometimes happens when I'm idling. I check the oil every week and I always have to put in a quart.

Blue smoke coming from the exhaust generally means that the motor is burning the engine oil. This can happen for a couple of different reasons such as worn piston rings or leaking valve guide seals. When this happens, the engine oil is burned in the combustion chamber along with the fuel which is what generates the blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect your car’s running condition to determine what may be causing the blue smoke coming from your exhaust.