Q: 2001 BMW 325Ci E46 3 series: turns over, no start, no spark, no communication on scanner. New battery was installed.

Issue: car stoped operation battery died had it jumped then no start issue. Towed vehicle then replaced the Battery and cranks no start. Checked spark to plug, cranks no spark. Checked fuse box in and out of vehicle. No fuses blown. Connected the scanner, no communication on 2 different scanners. Havent checked the ECM Relay nor the crank or timming sensors or BCM. Can I do a Re-fresh on the ECM for codes. And how and where could I do it? Apreciate any input on my BMW 325CI E46-3 Series. Thanks.

Hi there. Unfortunately, when the ECU is not connecting to the digital scanner, that’s an indication of a failed ECU. This is only something that can be completed by a BMW certified repair facility, as they keep ECU programming pretty exclusive these days. If you’re not getting spark and based on the other symptoms you’ve indicated - it would be logical to assume this is a major ECU failure unfortunately.

3. 2001 BMW 325Ci E46 3 series: turns over, no start, no spark, no communication on scanner. New battery was installed.