Q: 2000 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l replaced the TPS now the car won’t shift out of 1st gear, also hard shifts from park to drive or reverse

2000 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l replaced the TPS now the car won’t shift out of 1st gear, also hard shifts from park to drive or reverse. Starts fine and the initial idle is between 800-1000rpm with a little fluctuation. Any suggestions on how to get it to shift into 2nd, 3rd gears?

The first issue to deal with is the part number. Are you sure the part is correct? To reduce diagnostic headaches, and post-installation problems, it is best to buy the OEM sensor from a Hyundai dealer. If you have the correct sensor, preferably one from the dealer, check the wiring harness and view the sensor output on a real time scan tool. It may be that the computer has to go through a re-learn to adapt to the new TPS. If you remove the battery negative cable from the battery post and touch the negative CABLE to the positive cable, that will erase the stored values in the PCM. Perform that procedure with caution ONLY if you understand what is involved. If you want the faulty operation diagnosed and resolved by a mechanic, please request service and the mechanic will get this promptly resolved.

3. 2000 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l replaced the TPS now the car won’t shift out of 1st gear, also hard shifts from park to drive or reverse