Q: 1996 honda accord 210k runs great.is it true to wait till something is wrong, to take it to a mechanic?

I recently bought a 1996 honda accord ex at 210k and as of now everything runs very well. The start of the engine is strong and smooth and the engine is quiet. The car was maintained by a family mechanic prior to me buying it, so there are no service records. I made minor repairs like oil change, replaced spark plugs, replaced tires plus alignment and breaks. The mechanic told me the car runs well but followed with that parts are worn and then tagged on a hefty price tag to replace them. My first question is...is it true to not replace anything on a car until something is actually wrong with the car? My second question....what inspection should i get to find out the overall health of the car? I would prefer a full inspection from top to bottom, so i can get a baseline of the car...does that exist? Thankyou

Let me first address the issue of inspections designed to pinpoint faults, safety concerns, wear or deficiencies. Although you already own the vehicle, a comprehensive inspection can be obtained if you request what is referred to as a pre-purchase inspection. All parts on a used car are worn, every single one, to a degree. The only required, that is sensible, parts replacements or repairs that you need concern yourself with will involve components or systems that are clearly malfunctioning and/or are worn beyond technical specifications that are set forth in the Factory Service Manual. If no outward malfunction exists, there are no leaks of consequence (almost all vehicles older than 6 years leak to a degree), and the vehicle operates safely, smoothly and reliably you need do nothing. The final issue subsumed in your inquiry relates to maintenance. Any and all maintenance required by the Honda maintenance schedule for the vehicle, that is "past due", or due now, should be performed regardless of how well the vehicle presently runs. If you request the inspection, the mechanic can over all of the foregoing aspects of your concern in more detail, once the mechanic has had a chance to see if there are any meaningful deficiencies or faults with your car. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.

3. 1996 honda accord 210k runs great.is it true to wait till something is wrong, to take it to a mechanic?