Q: What can I do if the remote keyless entry remote only works up close?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What can I do if the remote keyless entry remote only works up close?

The remote keyless entry system is not only a great convenience, but it increases vehicle security by being able to lock or unlock the doors from a distance. If the range of the remote decreases, there are a few points to check out:

1. First, see how far away you can get from the vehicle with the remote remaining functional. This will show you the extent of the range.

2. Next, make sure that there are no objects blocking the vehicle from the remote.

3. If the range is poor even when the space between the remote and vehicle is clear, then the battery needs to be checked and possibly replaced.

4. If the battery was not the problem, call a dealer about getting a replacement remote.