Q: 1994 Ford Ranger smoke started coming from steering wheel/column and then the truck shut off. It will crank but won't start

asked by on July 07, 2017

Driving down the road and I could start to smell what seemed to be wires burning. Smoke came out of the steering wheel/column and then the truck shut off. It will crank but will not start

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are multiple sets of wires in the area you have described. The first step is to physically open the plastic molding around the steering wheel column and find out what has been damaged. From there, repairs need to be made. The ignition cylinder’s electrical circuit has likely been damaged rendering the vehicle inoperable. During the process of exposing and removing the damaged components, you want to try and find out what may have caused the electrical problem in the first place. It may have been a damaged or exposed wire. For more help with diagnostics and repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.