Q: $500 Car - 1986 Ford Escape

I'm looking to buy a used car that will help me save a little money until I can buy something else. Would this car be worth $500 if it's in good condition with no leaks or any major problems? I'm guessing the owners took really good car of it and rarely drove it. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

A car that only costs $500 could possibly have a lot of problems that would cost more than the value of the car for only one repair. You may want to take a chance to purchase the vehicle as is but think about all the expense of registering and insuring the vehicle only to find out the vehicle needs a major repair that will cost more than the cost of the car.

I would recommend having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, perform a vehicle pre-purchase inspection before you commit to buying it. This inspection may help you find a major repair that the car needs now like a bad clutch, transmission, engine or some of its components.