Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls

How to Transfer a Car Title in Mississippi

How to Transfer a Car Title in Mississippi

Because a car title proves ownership of the vehicle, it is essential that the title be transferred whenever ownership changes. If you’re buying a car from a private seller in Mississippi, you’ll need to transfer the title to your own name. Sellers will need to transfer the title to the buyer’s name. The same thing applies to donating a vehicle, gifting one, or inheriting one. Of course, there are quite a few steps to know when it comes to transferring a car title in Mississippi.

What buyers should know about title transfers

Buyers have only a few steps they need to complete in the title transfer process, but it’s important to get them right. You’ll need to:

  • Make sure to get a completed title from the seller. The seller should fill in all the assignment sections on the back.
  • Complete the Application for Mississippi Title and License. This form can only be obtained from a state tax collection office.
  • Get insurance on the car and provide proof.
  • Take this information to the DOR office, along with your license, and money for your title transfer fee, registration costs, and taxes. The transfer will cost $9, and registration will be $14, plus the applicable MS Road and Bridge Privilege Tax ($7.20 to $15).

Common mistakes

  • Not completing the title application correctly

What sellers should know about title transfers

Sellers have a few additional steps to complete, but they’re not particularly difficult. They include:

  • Complete the assignment sections on the back of the title. Note that if you’ve lost the title, you’ll need to pay for a duplicate, which will cost $9.
  • If there isn’t enough room on the title to provide all the required information (odometer reading, buyer’s name, etc.), then you’ll need to complete a bill of sale and give it to the buyer.
  • If you’re selling or giving the car to a relative, you’ll need to complete an Affidavit of Relationship. This form can be obtained from the tax collector’s office in your county.
  • Take off the license plates.

Common mistakes

  • Not completing the fields on the back of the title

Gifting and inheriting a vehicle in Mississippi

When it comes to gifting a vehicle, the steps are identical to those outlined above with the caveat that the Affidavit of Relationship be completed and filed with the DOR (only for family title transfers). For inherited vehicles, things change a little. You’ll need:

  • The current title
  • The signature of any surviving spouse if their name is on the title also
  • A copy of the will
  • A letter of administration or testamentary (only if the estate didn’t go through probate)


  • If the owner died without a will, you’ll need to complete an Affidavit When Owner Dies without a Will, which can be obtained from the county tax collector’s office.
  • File this information with the DOR office, and pay the $9 transfer fee, as well as the registration fees.

For more information about how to transfer a car title in Mississippi, visit the state’s DOR website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

How to Get a Louisiana Driver's Permit
s licensing program. The first step in this program is to obtain...
P2159 OBD-II Trouble Code: Vehicle Speed Sensor B Range/Performance
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC): P2159 P2159 code definition Vehicle Speed Sensor B Range/Performance Related Trouble Codes: P2158: Vehicle Speed Sensor B P2160: Vehicle Speed Sensor B Circuit Low P2161:...
P2422 OBD-II Trouble Code: Evaporative Emissions Control System (EVAP) Vent Valve Stuck Closed
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC): P2422 P2422 code definition Evaporative Emissions Control System (EVAP) Vent Valve Stuck Closed Related Trouble Codes: P2441: EVAP Vent Valve Stuck Open EVAP trouble...

Related questions

Q: Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car

no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...

Q: i cut off the roof

If you still have the windshield and install a roll bar then you should not have a problem, but if I were you I would check with local ordnance to make sure it is legal.