How to Transfer a Car Title in Utah

In the state of Utah, any change in vehicle ownership requires a title transfer. This is the process of removing the title from the previous owner’s name and putting it into the current owner’s name. Title transfers must be done when buying or selling a vehicle, when inheriting a vehicle, and when giving or receiving a car as a gift. There are several things that all parties should know about how to transfer a car title in Utah, as well.

Information for car buyers in Utah

Note that if you’re buying from a dealership, there is nothing you need to do. The dealer will handle the process and all associated fees will be worked into the final purchase prices of the car. However, if you’re buying from a private seller, you’ll need to:

  • Make sure that the seller completes the fields on the back of the title and signs it over to you.

  • Make sure that the owner provides you with a bill of sale that includes all pertinent information, including the purchase date, the amount paid, the description of the car, and the name, address and phone number of both you, and the seller.

  • Get a lien release from the seller.

  • Complete the Vehicle Application for Utah Title.

  • If the car is 9 years old or younger, you’ll need to complete an Odometer Disclosure Statement.

  • Get the current emissions inspection certificate from the seller.

  • Bring all of this information, along with the payment for the title transfer fee and sales tax to the DMV office. The transfer fee is $6, and the sales tax will vary from city to city in the state.

Common mistakes

  • Not getting a lien release
  • Not getting the current emissions inspection certificate

Information for car sellers in Utah

If you’re selling a car in the state of Utah, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  • Complete the back of the title.

  • Sign the title over to the buyer.

  • Give the buyer a lien release.

  • Give the buyer the current emissions certificate.

  • If the car is 9 years old or younger, complete the Odometer Disclosure Statement.

  • Give the buyer the current registration.

  • Remove the license plates from the car. These do not transfer to the new buyer.

  • Notify the DMV of the sale by sending a letter including a full description of the car and your signature to the address below:

Division of Motor Vehicles
Suspended Transaction Unit
PO Box 30412
Salt Lake City, UT 84130

Gifting and inheriting a car in Utah

The gifting and donation processes are the same as outlined above. However, if you are inheriting a car, the state’s laws are complex and vary significantly depending on how the estate is handled. You can find more information about this from the state’s DMV website.

For more information about how to transfer a car title in Utah, visit the DMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Transfer a Car Title in Washington
Within Within the state of Washington, all vehicles are required to be title with the name of the owner appearing on the title itself. When ownership changes, whether because the vehicle was bought or sold, or it was given as...
Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Utah
In In the State of Utah, the DMV (Division of Motor Vehicles) provides disabled parking plates and placards to people who have disabilities. If you live in Utah, and you are disabled, you may qualify for a special plate or...
What are the Car Pool Rules in Utah?
Utah Utah may be better known for its landscapes and scenic drives ( than its urban areas, but a large percentage of the state’s residents work in Salt Lake City (or other large cities), and rely on Utah’s major freeways...

Related questions

Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car
no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...
Deciding which alternator to use. Based off brand.
Some brands are definitely better than others. Denso, Remy, Hitachi, Bosch, Nippendenso and more are just a few quality brands. You didn't include the year, make and model of your vehicle so I can't say which one I would recommend...
Carfax shows minor damage no airbag deployed. Is it ok to buy?
Carfax reports unfortunately only reflect any work or damage that was reported to Carfax. I would suggest checking the Kelly Blue Book website with specifics related to your zip code as market prices of cars vary by zip code. This...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·