How to Transfer a Car Title in Hawaii

In order to prove ownership of a vehicle, there must be a title in the owner’s name. For vehicles that aren’t paid off, the lender will hold the title and provide a certificate for the owner to use. However, for cars that are paid off, the owner will have the physical title. This title needs to be transferred when ownership changes – the car is sold, given as a gift, or inherited. Transferring a car title in Hawaii is pretty simple, but a few steps need to be followed.

Buyers in Hawaii

For buyers in Hawaii purchasing a car from a private seller, the following steps need to be completed:

  • Make sure that the seller signs and dates the title.
  • Make sure that the seller writes down the odometer reading on the back of the title.
  • Sign and date the title.
  • Make sure that the seller provides you with a bill of sale.
  • If there has not been one completed recently, have the car inspected for safety and a new certificate issued.
  • Notify your county office within 10 days of the purchase.
  • Visit your county office and pay the required fees. Fees vary depending on where you’re located in Hawaii, and are as follows:
    • Maui - $10 for the transfer fee
    • Honolulu – Use the DMV website to determine your fees
    • Hawaii - $5 for the transfer fee
    • Kauai – Call 808-241-4256 to determine the amount

Common mistakes

  • Not having the seller provide a lien release
  • Not ensuring that the seller completes the back of the title
  • Not notifying the DMV of the purchase within 30 days (which will actually require an additional $50 late fee)

Sellers in Hawaii

Like buyers, sellers also need to follow a few steps to transfer a car title in Hawaii. These include:

  • Sign, date, and add the mileage to the back of the title.
  • Make sure that any joint owner also signs the title.
  • Make sure that the buyer fills in the appropriate sections on the title.
  • Provide the buyer with the current registration certificate and safety inspection certificate.
  • Provide a Notice of Transfer (Hawaii County only).

Gifting and inheriting

The state of Hawaii allows you to transfer ownership of a vehicle to a family member as a gift. Doing so will require the same steps as selling/buying a vehicle, and the new owner will be responsible for the title transfer fee. However, they do not have to pay a use tax on the car. They will need to complete a Motor Vehicle Use Tax Certification form.

For inherited vehicles, you will need to provide proof of insurance, the current registration, a safety inspection certificate, and an Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent. Make sure to bring the death certificate with you to the DMV office.

For more information about how to transfer a car title in Hawaii, visit the state’s Department of Customer Services website, as there is no central DMV office.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Transfer a Car Title in Wisconsin
The The state of Wisconsin requires that the title to a vehicle be transferred anytime there is a change in ownership. This would include buying or selling the car, inheriting a car, and donating or gifting a car. There are...
How to Transfer a Car Title in Wyoming
The The state of Wyoming tracks vehicle ownership by the name on the title to the car. If ownership changes, then the title must be transferred to the new owner’s name. This applies to all types of ownership changes, from...
How to Buy a Personalized License Plate in Hawaii
There There is perhaps no better way to customize your vehicle than with a personalized license plate. A personalized license plate allows you to say something truly unique with your vehicle. You can project a sentiment or word, show pride...

Related questions

What does the speedometer show?
The speedometer is located on the instrument panel, and displays the speed at which you are driving. The speedometer is a semicircle, with a hand and numbers. The hand corresponds to the speed that you are currently traveling.
I have a crack on my windshield
Every state will vary as well as the person performing the inspection. However, in most states, a crack larger than 4 inches ( will not pass this kind of safety inspection. There are also different types of cracks that have...
Recieved the signed title but no bill of sale after purchasing a car
no charge for this answer: If the seller has signed over the vehicle to you, by conveying the ORIGINAL title (that is by signing the title over to you) you should not need additional "proof" of sale. The "conveyed" title...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·