Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Nebraska

In the state of Nebraska, disability license plates and placards are available permitting people who have disabilities to use handicapped parking spaces. Depending on the nature and duration of your disability, you can get a plate or placard from the Department of Motor Vehicles in Nebraska. You can apply online, by mail, or in person.

In some states, permits are permanent, but in Nebraska, they have to be renewed.

Types of disability permits in Nebraska

In Nebraska, there are several options for disabled parking permits. They include:

  • Permanent disability placards that hang from your rear view mirror
  • Temporary disability placards that hang from your rear view mirror
  • Permanent disability license plates

If you are visiting the state of Nebraska, your plates or placards will also be valid. The placards and the plates both permit you to park in handicapped spots. You may not, however, park in spots that are specified “no parking” – this means no parking for anyone, disabled or otherwise.

Getting a disability permit

You can apply for a disability permit in Nebraska in one of three ways:

  • In person
  • By mail
  • Online

If you are applying either in person or by mail, then you will need the Application for Handicapped Parking Permit, and you will have to include the following:

  • Your identification (driver’s license, passport, or other government identification)

  • Medical certification, signed by your doctor, a physician’s assistant, or a licensed nurse practitioner

The next step is to either take your application to the DMV office in your area, or mail it to:

Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles
Driver and Vehicle Records Division
Attn: Handicapped Parking Permits
P.O. Box 94789

Getting a handicapped license plate

To get a handicapped license plate, you must fill out the Application for Handicapped License Plates. This has to include a signed medical certification from your doctor. You will get an approval letter by mail, and if you have asked for a disability placard, you will also get that in the mail. Then you have to take the letter of approval and your vehicle registration fees to the office of the treasurer for your county, at which time our plate will be issued.


Placards and plates expire. Temporary placards are good for three to six months, and can be renewed once. Permanent placards have to be renewed every six years. The process for renewing is the same as it is for applying and requires the same paperwork.

Lost permits

If you lose your plate or placard, you can have it replaced. You will not need to provide medical certification for the first two replacements, but you will need to fill out new paperwork if you lose your permit a third time.

As a disabled person in the state of Nebraska, you are entitled to certain rights and privileges when it comes to parking in disabled spaces. There is paperwork involved though, so be sure that you have your documents in order.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver laws and Permits in Wisconsin
If If you live in the State of Wisconsin, and you have a disability, then you could be entitled to certain privileges and rights accorded to you by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and Division of Motor Vehicles. Both organizations...
Disabled Driving Laws and Permits in Minnesota
Even Even if you are not a disabled driver, you might want to familiarize yourself with the disabled driver laws in your state. Each state treats disabled driver privileges, and Minnesota is not an exception. Let’s start with eligibility. How...
How to Get a Colorado Driver's Permit
Colorado Colorado has strict laws regarding driver’s license eligibility. All drivers in Colorado must obtain a learner’s permit, and drive with that permit, while they are under 21 years old. In order to obtain a driver’s permit, there are certain...

Related questions

My wheel bearings are making noise.
Hey there, thank you for asking about your 1996 Ford Contour. If your wheel bearings are noisy then you should have them checked to see which one is bad and replace the bearings. The front axle bearings are part of...
2015 Chevy Tahoe brakes not working properly in reverse
Hi there. Check the linings on the pads and the rotors and see how they are. If there is a lot of material on the front brake pads, then the front is good but when braking while driving backwards, the...
My check power steering symbol is showing up on my Lexus 2012 RX 350 and the car wont move an inch.
Hello. It sounds like you either have a broken belt or a voltage loss in the vehicle. If the battery is failing or if the alternator is failing then this will occur. I would check these first by having them...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com