Disabled Driving Laws and Permits in Minnesota

Even if you are not a disabled driver, you might want to familiarize yourself with the disabled driver laws in your state. Each state treats disabled driver privileges, and Minnesota is not an exception. Let’s start with eligibility.

How do I know if I am eligible for a disabled driver placard and/or license in the state of Minnesota?

You may qualify as a disabled driver in Minnesota if you have one of the following:

  • A cardiac condition classified as a Class III or IV by the American Heart Association
  • Arthritis that restricts your ability to walk
  • Any condition that requires you to carry portable oxygen
  • A lung disease that inhibits your ability to breathe
  • If you cannot walk 200 feet without requiring assistance or stopping to rest
  • If you cannot walk without a significant risk of falling down
  • If you have lost an arm or leg that has been replaced by a prosthetic limb
  • If you cannot walk without a wheelchair, cane, crutch, or some other assistive device

If one or more of these applies to you, then you may be eligible for disabled driver parking privileges in Minnesota.

How do I apply for a placard and/or license plate?

To obtain a license plate, your next step is to complete the Application for Disability Parking Certification. You must take this form to a medical professional, such as a chiropractor, physician or physician’s assistant, or an advanced registered nurse, and have him or her verify on the form that you suffer from a condition that qualifies you for disabled driver parking privileges. Next, submit the form to your closest Driver and Vehicle Services Division, or mail the form to the address on the form. The fee for a license plate is 15 dollars and fifty cents.

Are there any fees associated with my placard?

Yes. Temporary placards cost five dollars, while permanent placards are free.

How do I know if I am eligible for a temporary or a permanent placard?

Your doctor will make this determination. Temporary placards are for temporary disabilities, or those that will go away in six months or less. Permanent placards are for those disabilities that will persist for much longer, perhaps even a lifetime. Permanent certificates or placards are valid for six years. Minnesota is unique in that it offers disabled drivers two additional options: short-term certificates, which are valid for seven to 12 months, and long-term certificates, which are valid for 13 to 71 months. Many states offer only temporary, which are valid for six months to a year, and permanent, which are valid for several years.

What if want to lend my placard to a friend because that friend has an obvious disability?

This is illegal, and doing so may result in up to 500 dollars in fines. Your friend needs to go through the same process that you did to apply for his or her permit. Your parking permit should be only in your possession. The only time you may use your permit is if you are in the vehicle, either as the driver or as a passenger. Otherwise, you may not use your permit. Remember: the permit is issued to you and not to your vehicle.

Where am I allowed and not allowed to park with my permit and/or license plate?

In all states, you may park anywhere you see the International Symbol of Access. You may not park in areas marked “no parking anytime” and in loading or bus zones. Each state has its own unique regulations regarding parking meters and for just how long a disabled driver may park in a metered space. If you are a disabled driver and you are going to be visiting another state or just traveling through, please be sure to check on what that state’s policies are on metered parking.

How do I renew my placard once it expires?

To renew in the state of Minnesota, you must complete the Application for Disability Parking Certificate (Form PS2005). Please be aware that you must get new medical certification if you are going to renew. Not all states require this, but Minnesota does. Make sure that your doctor clearly states on the form that your disability is going to be extended. In cases when your disability is being extended, you will not have to pay a fee to renew. If this is not the case, then you will pay five dollars for a temporary placard, five dollars for a short-term placard, but you will pay nothing for a long-term placard. You may submit your renewal to the address on Form PS2005, or you may submit it in person at your local Minnesota DMV.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Michigan
It It is important that you familiarize yourself with your state’s disability driver laws and permits, even if you are not disabled yourself. Each state has its own unique requirements, and Michigan is not an exception. How do I know...
Disabled Driving Laws and Permits in Georgia
When When it comes to disabled driver permits, each state has its own regulations. Georgia has its own specific guidelines for how to obtain a disabled driver permit and/or license plate. Let’s start with your eligibility. How do you know...
How to Prepare for the Minnesota Driver’s Written Test
Before Before you are able to start driving in Minnesota, you need to prove to the state that you have the knowledge necessary to be safe and to follow the laws on the road. They ensure this by testing drivers...

Related questions

Doors not locking
It sounds like you may be having some type of electrical problem. I Would recommend having a technician come out and inspect the electrical components (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/electrical-components-are-not-working-inspection) on the four locks and look for a shorted wire or a bad switch...
The Battery Light came up on my dash. I lost power steering and have no cold AC. What should I do and how much is it to fix?
It sounds like you may have lost a drive belt. When the belt goes, so does the alternator, the power steering, and the air conditioner. You should not drive the car like this, as the engine may overheat. You may...
My car won’t start. The dash lights don’t turn on when I turn the key. There is a new battery in it. Start when jumped.
It sounds like the ground wire itself could be faulty. I would recommend replacing the ground wire itself and this should re gain power in your electrical system.

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com