Q: Tail light that comes on after the lens cover is tapped

asked by on May 25, 2016

Hi. I've been having an issue with the tail lights in my car, that occurs sporadically. There is a warning on the dash that tail light is off when I turn these lights on. It actually is off. However, the light reacts if I tap the lens cover. It then turns on and stays that way until I turn them off and back on the following time. This is not such a serious issue, I believe, but I would like to get it fixed. What do you suggest I should check? Thanks.

This sounds like you either have bulbs that are going bad, or the more likely cause is a poor connection inside on the bulb socket. Have the light that is tapped removed and check each connection for loose pins or corrosion in the connections to the light.