Q: Reduce engine power / check engine light is on

Left the car on to run into the store and when I came out I noticed the exhaust sounded different; it had a putt/putt sound to it; when I got in I noticed the check engine light was on along with a reduce engine power message; it was drivable however ran a bit sluggish - when I turned it back on, the reduce engine power message was gone, however the check engine light remained on. I was able to drive it without any additional problems, but when I came to a stop the reduce engine power message appeared, and stayed on for a while but then went off again. I've noticed that the power windows take a while to roll up, and if the interior lights are on, and I lock or unlock the door they tend to dim. Not sure if the problem is related, to the reduce engine power message - however the message remains off & currently only the check engine light is displayed. Planning to take it in to run diagnostics on it tomorrow, and hoping it's nothing major. Any thoughts/ advice?

My car has 113000 miles. Update: This morning the check engine light was off, and has remained off thus far.

It came back on and has remained on.

Hi there. Most of the time, reduced engine power is caused by a restriction of fuel, or the throttle body’s inability to efficiently mix air and fuel. This could be caused by a failing mass air flow sensor, EGR valve or other fuel system components. Since the check engine light is on, you should have a professional mechanic complete an inspection at your location to determine what codes are stored and which components require repair. This should resolve your issue.